The Arbor at River Oaks is a boutique resale shop that offers gently used clothing and housewares at a modest cost to help fund church ministries.
A collaborative effort of River Oaks United Methodist Church and Arborlawn United Methodist Church, The Arbor is run exclusively by volunteers with all clothing and household goods donated from individuals and businesses.
In addition to selling high quality goods at low prices, The Arbor also provides clothing and household essentials at no cost to low-income families in need of a helping hand.
The Arbor is run by church and community volunteers, with 100% of proceeds used to support the missions of River Oaks United Methodist Church and Arborlawn United Methodist Church.
If you are interested in becoming part of The Arbor volunteer team, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently, we are recruiting volunteers for the following positions:
• Cashier – Greet guests in the shop, answer questions and handle voucher, cash and credit card transactions at the front counter.
• Finance – Reconcile bank statements and prepare monthly QuickBooks report to submit to ROUMC and AUMC Finance Chairs.
• Intake Counseling – Meet with guests to evaluate applications for assistance. Volunteer counselors will determine a family’s eligibility for shopping vouchers. Volunteers will also advise clients about other support available through the church, and community agencies.
• Marketing and Publicity – Coordinate publicity efforts through a variety of media platforms.
• Pricing Guidelines – Maintain an Excel spreadsheet of appropriate prices for individual items. Update annually by shopping competitor prices.
• Solicitations – Pursue opportunities for donated goods through local retailers, schools, and other churches.
• Sorting, Sizing & Pricing – Check clothing for stains, tears, missing buttons, etc., before sizing, hanging and pricing according to guidelines provided. Household items are also carefully checked to ensure all components are clean, intact and operating properly before pricing.
• Steaming – Steam clothing on hangers and place on appropriate racks.
• Transportation – Collect items at AUMC and transport to ROUMC, as needed. Occasionally, there may be a need for a volunteer with a pickup truck to transport larger items.
• Volunteer Coordinator – Recruit, train and schedule volunteers for The Arbor retail store and workrooms.
When and Where do I Donate?
Arborlawn UMC SAM building, 5001 Briarhaven Road, is open to accept donations on Mondays and Thursdays between the hours of 9:30 – 11:30 am. Items may also be left in the area adjacent to the AUMC kitchen when the church is open.
River Oaks UMC, 4800 Ohio Garden Road, is open to accept donations Monday through Friday from 9:30 am – noon.
All donations are tax deductible.
What May I Donate?
Items we gratefully accept.
New, or gently used:
• Clothing and outerwear for infants, children, women and men
• Hats & Caps
• Linens (sheets, pillowcases, blankets, comforters, towels, washcloths, tablecloths, placemats, etc.
• Kitchen utensils (pots, pans, bakeware, dishes, glassware, silverware, bowls, etc.)
*Small appliances (irons, coffee makers, mixers, griddles, blenders, radios, clocks, CD & DVD players, etc.)
• Home décor (throw pillows, frames, prints and paintings, lamps, vases, knick-knacks, candles, etc.)
• Small furnishings (end tables, plant stands, nightstands, etc.)
• Children's toys (games, puzzles, dolls, toys, video games, etc.) • Infant carriers/strollers, etc. • Luggage, bags, backpacks
• School supplies
Items we cannot accept.
• Clothing or items in need of repair of laundering
• Large appliances • Large furniture
• Computer equipment
• Cribs with dropdown sides
• Paint or other flammable materials
• Building supplies
10 am – 1 pm
Days and hours of operation are subject to change due to pandemic regulations,
4800 Ohio Garden Road (The Arbor entry is at the corner of Ohio Garden and Arc)
Fort Worth, Texas 76114
817.731.0701 or 817.625.6281